Brief introduction of Wellington Cantonment

Wellington Cantonment is situated three kilometers to the north of Coonoor. The Mettupalayam-Ooty road passes through the Cantonment.
The Wellington Cantonment was earlier known as Jakkatalla (or Jacketallah) from the Badaga Village of that name to the north of it. In 1852, Sir Richard Armstrong, the then Commander-in-Chief, recommended that the name should be changed to Wellington in honor of the Iron Duke, who from the first had evinced an interest in the establishment of sanatorium on the Nilgiris. In 1860, Sir, Charles, Trevelyan held that this interesting Military Establishment could not be connected with a more appropriate name than Wellington. He therefore ordered that Jakkatalla Station be called henceforth as Wellington.
The construction of barracks began during the year 1852 and was completed in the year 1860, popularly known as Wellington Barracks. It assumed importance in the Station and is currently occupied, since February 1947, by Madras Regimental Centre. The Wellington Barracks is now named as Srinagesh Barracks in memory of the First Indian Colonel of the Madras Regiment Gen. S.M.Srinagesh.
The native Bazaar, now known as the Cantonment Market, is away from the Barracks and is on the other side of the stream after crossing the Waterloo Bridge, more commonly known as Black Bridge, a tarred wooden construction, which has been reconstructed during March,2009 and renamed as Manekshaw Bridge in memory of Field Marshal Sam Maneckshaw.
The Anglican Church, St.George’s and the Roman Catholic Church,St.Joseph’s were designed by Maj.Morant, R.E. and were built in 1885 and 1888 respectively.
An important Defence Institution, the Defence Services Staff College was started from 1947 and is located in front of War Memorial of the Madras Regimental Centre.

Wellington is a Class II cantonment with population of about 20000, is located atop of the beautiful Nilgiris and is about 15 Km from Ooty, one of the most famous hill station of the Nilgiris. It is surrounded by green and refreshing tea estates and enjoy a pleasant climate throughout the year. Many important tourist places such as Mudumalai national park, Botanical garden, Dodabetta peak, Kalhatti water Falls, Pykara lake, Ooty lake etc are in close proximity to the Cantonment.


Defence Services Staff College:

Located at Wellington in Tamil Nadu, India, DSSC is one of the few institutions of its type in the world where training is imparted to aspiring staff officers of all the three Services – Army, Navy and Air Force, as also selected officers of the paramilitary and civil services, and officers from friendly foreign countries.

Manekshaw Bridge:

The history of the bridge, which connects the Ooty-Coonoor road to the Wellington cantonment, can be traced to 1878. A wooden structure, christened the Waterloo Bridge, was first constructed over the Mynala river. It was commonly referred to as Black Bridge, since it was built of Burmese teak and painted black. A 43.5 meter long reconstructed bridge at Wellington near here, originally known as black bridge, has been named after him

Nilgiris Mountain Railways:

It was in 1854 that the first plans were drawn to build a mountain railway from Mettupalayam to the Nilgiris Hills. But it was a good 45 years later in 1899 that the first train chugged up this track. This railway is widely regarded as a marvel of engineering. The train, for obvious safety reasons, averages 10.4 km per hour and is perhaps the slowest in India.
Built in the late 19th century, the track rises at a gradient of 1 in 12 and has 208 curves and 13 tunnels. The Nilgiris Mountain Railway is a railway in Tamil Nadu, India, built by the British in 1908n July 2005, UNESCO added the Nilgiri Mountain Railway as an extension to the World Heritage Site of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, the site then became known as “Mountain Railways of India”. After it satisfied the necessary criteria, thus forcing abandonment of the modernization plans covering 41.8 km, 108 curves, 16 tunnels and 250 bridges The decision for constructing this mountain railway track was taken in the year of 1854. After 45 years of talks and efforts, Nilgiris mountain railway track was constructed and opened for the general public in the year of 1899. The length of the railway track from Mettupalayam to Ooty is 45.88 kilometers.